This week’s “Food for Runners” recipe is a stir-fry of asparagus and prawn served with Basmati rice, adapted from Runners World magazine.
Prawns are low in fat, high in protein, and rammed full of iron and zinc. Aspargus are packed with riboflavin, which helps your body metabolise carbs into the sugars that fuel your runs.
* a knob of ginger, grated
* juice of 1 lime
* 4 tbsp fish sauce
* 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 10 raw king prawns, shells off
* 1 onion, cut into thick slices
* 1 red chilli, finely chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 4 spring onions, in 5cm pieces
* 200g asparagus, cut in half lengthways and into 5cm pieces
* 8 fresh coriander and Basmati rice to serve
Mix together the ginger, lemon grass, lime leaves, fish sauce and sugar. Put to one side.
Stir-fry the king prawns for a few minutes until they turn pink. Remove from the pan.
Throw in the onion and stir-fry for two minutes. Add the chilli, garlic and spring onion, and cook until the onion has softened. Add the prawns back to the wok along with the asparagus and fry for a further minute.
Pour over the sauce that you prepared earlier, and cook until the mixture becomes sticky. Sprinkle with the coriander and serve immediately with the Thai rice.